I offer a variety of mosaic workshops, from beginner level to advanced. I work with children and adults. I’ve taught at summer camps, private homes, and art centers, including Seattle Mosaic Arts, The Hoffman Center (Manzanita, OR), Sequoia Gallery and Teaching Studio (Hillsboro, OR), the Sitka Center for Art and Ecology (Lincoln City, OR) and the Arbutus School (in Olympia, WA) and at the Society of American Mosaic Artists Summit (San Diego, CA.) If you are interested in participating in a workshop, keep an eye on this page and “like” my facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/JenniferKuhnsMosaic.
- June 3 & 10: A Mosaic for the Garden workshop is scheduled through the City of Auburn. The registration link hasn’t gone live yet, but I will post it when it is available.
- June 23-26: Mosaic Mural Making Intensive at The Arbutus School in Olympia, WA. This is an intense, fast-paced workshop with a hands-on project that will become part of the center. Students will learn how to scale a design, price a bid, calculate materials, make a project weatherproof, create the work on a temporary surface that can be quickly installed on site, cut materials, work as a team, etc. The workshop will cost $350. Olympia is a delightful city to visit in summer, and the workshop location is close to the port, farmers market, parks, and eclectic shopping. To register: https://www.bookeo.com/
- July 1/2: Mosaic for the Garden at The Hoffman Center in Manzanita, OR. This workshop includes introductory level skills, but is also perfect for the practicing mosaic artist interested in creating exterior mosaic that is weather-proof. We will discuss appropriate materials, adhesives and techniques while making a glass tile stepping stone to take home. (Registration and details coming soon…)
- August 12/13: I am working on scheduling a 2-day workshop in McMinnville, OR. Details to come.
- August 16: Papercutting workshop at The Sitka Center in Lincoln City, OR. (Registration will open in March.)
- August 18/19: A workshop is tentatively scheduled in McMinnville, OR, but the topic is still being decided. Feel free to send me your feedback.
Here are some of the workshops I offer:
- Garden Mosaic: Students create a stepping stone while learning about weatherproof mosaic techniques. (2-3 days)
- Mosaic Pendants: Students create 4 pendants and can purchase supplies to make more. (One day)
- Introduction to Mosaic: Create a small project such as a mosaic mirror or plaque while learning the basics of mosaic. (2 days)
- Glass on Glass Mosaic: Create a transparent mosaic using stained glass on clear glass, allowing light to pass through. Includes intro to scoring/cutting stained glass. (2-4 days)
- Memory Mosaics: This is a cross between scrapbooking and mosaic, putting images under glass and adding found objects, glass and tile to tell the story of a special occasion, accomplishment, trip, pet, person, goal, etc. (2 days)
- Mosaic Mural Intensive: This is an advanced level workshop addressing all elements of mosaic mural fabrication, including substrates, working direct and on mesh, calculating materials, transferring a design to large scale, and creating a work of art that will withstand the elements. The entire group will work on a project together, and the mural will either be installed at the workshop site or donated to a local non-profit. (4-5 days)
- Precision Glass Cutting for Mosaic: This is an intermediate to advanced level workshop for practicing mosaic artists interested in learning to cut complex shapes from stained glass. Students leave the class able to cut concave curves, circles, and alternating curves by hand. (2 days)
- Workshops for kids: I have taught mosaic for children from preschool through high school. With young children, I have them create the mosaic on sticky paper or mesh, and I transfer the mosaic to a substrate and grout for them. I’ve worked with youth through the City of Olympia, the Auburn Parks & Rec Dept., 4H summer camp, Girl Scouts, Nova Middle School, and Choice Alternative High School. I have also led two mosaic activities with about 10 families at a local church.